Thursday, October 10, 2013

Welcome!

     Welcome to Should You Get! The main purpose of this blog is to act as a place to post extended information for the games I review in my "Should You Get..." feature on my Youtube channel, Shotgun Butterfly. I sometimes have a few more things to say about the games I review that I can't fit into the video reviews, so this is the place to post those thoughts.

     My aim with these reviews is to answer the basic question, "Should you get this game?" I tend to avoid numerical scores and I aim for a "video essay" format. As with all my game-related writing, I focus on the quality of the game as an experience above all else; look to see whether it is fun, engaging, or provocative in some way.

     I don't limit myself: I've reviewed everything from simple puzzle games to big-budget FPSes, and I'm willing to review for any system, platform, or genre. I tend to review recent games from the past five years or so, with a focus on more recent releases, though I won't rule out older titles.

     I try to avoid being dry and overly formal. I want to keep my videos conversational in tone, but always intelligent in content. I want to get across the enthusiasm I feel for games and all the things about them that make them worth talking about. Thus far, I've tended to stick to reviewing the game with few frills. Many "review shows" are just that: shows, and they feature all sorts of jokes and skits. I haven't done much of that, but again, that might change. As I said, Should You Get focuses on brief reviews rather than in-depth analysis or wacky skits. I have plans to do some things along those lines in future videos, but that will be some time in coming.

     It's been rewarding working on these reviews, as well as all the other videos I've made and am even now planning, and it feels good to be writing as well. I have big plans for all my work- so stick around! We're going to have a lot of fun diving into the world of games and all the makes them great.


Speedyard

See all my reviews and other videos at Shotgun Butterfly!



No comments:

Post a Comment